Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Here some reflection question from 2012.
1. What is the single best thing that God did for you this past year?
The way that he revealed himself to me in a very tangible real way at the Serra Retreat Center this summer when I went up for a prayer retreat.
2. What was the most challenging part of this year that God helped you to get through?
That would have to be my class of kinders from the last school year at the after school program. Although I loved them dearly, they were surely a challenge. At the end God helped me to see ways that I loved them well and was with me through the struggles I faced.
3. What was an unexpected joy that you experienced this year?
An unexpected joy was just in these past few weeks. I have found a lot of joy in making props, costumes, and set pieces for my students' upcoming plays. I enjoy being creative and the joy that comes from giving them a more legitimate performance experience.
4. What is an unexpected obstacle that you have had to face this year?
An obstacle to finding and trying to maintain my own joy at work has been trying to stay positive amidst the negativity and complaining of my coworkers.
5. What are 3 words you would use to describe 2012?
6. What was the best book you read this year?
Chasing the Dragon.
7. What is the biggest personal change you have experienced this year?
I have been able to see more of God's nearness to me throughout my day and not feeling like I am in such despair at work.
8. What ways have you grown emotionally?
I feel as through I made some bad choices this year in terms of my emotional health this year. I have done more to shove my feelings to deal with them at a more convenient time which has made it difficult to engage with how I am doing emotionally.
9. How have you grown spiritually?
I have grown in deeper patience with my students (still have a long way to go), a deeper understanding of God's nearness and love for me, receiving more joy, developing cross cultural friendships, learning how to vision in the big picture in regards to my leadership.
10. How have you grown physically?
I guess I kind of work out now... Who would have thought? I go to Zumba once a week and try to go hiking as much as I can.
11. What was the most enjoyable area of Christian community?
This year it has probably been the moments of just hanging out with people. Game nights, the church retreat, St. Patrick's Day, Shakespeare in the park, Thanksgiving dinner, seeing Les Miserable, New Years Eve.
12. What has been the most challenging part of Christian community?
Feeling like people don't know me deeply (my fault), feeling like I have to initiate a lot in friendships.
13. What has been the biggest time waster this year?
14. What is the best ways I have used my time this year?
Prayer, social time with people, serving people, hiking.
15. What is something God has taught me this year?
I have learned that there is hope in God to endure through the hard things. God will always bring you out and restore joy.
Although this verse has not really come up for me this year I do feel like it is a good summary of my year.
Romans 5: 3-5. "We rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."