Tuesday, August 23, 2011

1 Year of Job Searching and Some Numbers

Aug 23rd officially marks 1 year that I have been job searching since moving to Los Angeles. Now of course I have not been unemployed for a year, praise the Lord. Nor have I been job searching that entire time. But a majority of the year I have been either unemployed or partially employed and looking for more part time or full time work. Although it is not my favorite way to be spending my time, I have accepted that it is necessary to continue to pursue what I love to do and trust God that he will provide for my needs. Some days it’s really hard and discouraging, while others it just seems like such a normal part of my routine that I hardly even think about it.

I thought it would be fun to list some statistics of my job searching. I keep a pretty detailed spreadsheet of jobs that I have applied for so that I can keep track of them and be able to follow up. I’m not trying to brag about my job searching efforts (because if I was so good at it, I would be fully employed by now.) I just think it would be fun to look back at the year

Since Aug 23rd 2010

Total jobs applied for

232

Versions of my resume

22

Interviews

24

Jobs held

5

Job offers

10 (including the ones I took)

Full time jobs applied for

around 30

Jobs that I really wanted that were perfect for me that I didn’t get

2

Office jobs applied to

105

After school programs

16

Jobs in schools/ teaching assistant type jobs

41

Nanny jobs

7

Arts related jobs

13

The rest are non profits other jobs that I didn’t want to categorize

50

Months in which I did NOT apply for any jobs

2

Pay range of jobs I have applied for

$9 per hour-45K a year

Applied for from Craig’s list

180

Idealist

12

Arts for LA

3

Career builder

4

Nonprofit coop

3

Monster

4

Lausd website

10

A few things surprised me as I was making this today.

  1. Out of 232, only about 30 of them are full time jobs. That means I am not qualified for a lot jobs in the field I want to be in and there are just not a lot of full time jobs available in the jobs that I want to be in.

    I have only applied for 13 arts related jobs, and not all of those are working with kids. This saddens me for the same reasons as above.

Maybe there is something fundamentally wrong with the way that I am going about this or maybe I am being too picky in what I am applying for. As I have prayed about this I felt like God is still pushing me to do what I love. There have been many times I have considered settling for a full time office job but I have not felt like it is the time to do that yet.

But I have also been thinking more long term about what I steps I need to take to really build these little jobs into a career. Two things stand out to me: Going back to school to get my teaching credential or masters in theatre. Both of which do not sound appealing whatsoever at the moment. But one of those looks like the path that I will eventually need to take at some point. I am not sure which yet.

Although this process may seem discouraging when you look at the statistics there are many things to be grateful to God about throughout this process:

  1. He has given me work when others have none at all
  2. He has sustained me financially, always having enough money for everything I need and more. Most of year I have been spending more than I make, given that my expenses are just more than I make right now. I am reminded of the miracle of the fish and loaves where God multiplies what has been given. Somehow there has always been enough money in my bank account. It is really a miracle when I take the time to look back.
  3. Even in the midst of job insecurity, the Lord has provided the resources for me to be able to buy a car after my old car was totaled in an accident earlier this year.
  4. Of the 5 jobs I have held, 4 have been working with kids. It has been really life giving for me to be around kids again as it was very difficult for me the 2 years that I was at the insurance company.
  5. Of the 5 jobs I have held, 3 have involved being able to teach theatre in some capacity. I have been able to develop my theatre lessons and see students express their uniqueness through the arts.
  6. This summer I have been fully employed. Even though I was fundraising partially, God found a way to give me full time employment through 2 jobs.
  7. This summer I was almost completely teaching theatre between my two jobs. Both of which were great experiences.
  8. Because I have had some free time, I have been able to volunteer at Inner City Arts. This nonprofit has really captured my heart, taught me so much about arts education, and fueled my passions for creative teaching.
  9. I have learned more how to trust God with my finances. (A lesson that is always in progress for me.) I have seen how God really cares about the thing I am passionate about and wants to provide ways for me succeed in a career of teaching theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment