Saturday, June 2, 2012

Girls and talking


I tried out this new theatre game with my kinders this week and were surprised by the results that I found. Here is the game: Two people stand facing each other and simultaneously start telling a story at the same time. If someone laughs or stops talking they are out.  I had them think of a movie or a book that they knew really well and could talk about for a long time. Its a game of focus, to not let the other person distract you from what you are trying to say.

The result of this game was that the girls were far superior than the boys. The boys were instantly distracted and could not get out more than a sentence before being flustered and losing their train of thought. These two girls at the end of the tournament probably went on for a good 5 minutes about the story they were telling. And remember, you have to talk nonstop, if you pause to think you are out.

My thoughts are that girls in general talk more and communicate more than boys do. I was a little surprised by how dramatic of a difference it was by gender too. I also observed that  kindergartners in particular are very used to talking over each other to get their idea across. They don't raise their hand and wait, they just blurt out whatever is on their mind regardless of whether or not someone else is already talking.  I am interested to see what kind of results I would get with older kids who have more of behavioral framework for not talking when someone else is talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment