Sunday, November 4, 2012

My Students Original Plays

One of my most random characters in the plays

For the past few months I have been working with my students on writing their own original plays. I did this as a group through a process. First we worked on characters, then setting, problem and solution and lastly plot. We did this as a group so that each group created one original short play. I let the oldest group write their own lines and I wrote out the play for the younger groups. I really love how they turned out because you can tell that children came up with this.The characters are really random. They are very short, but I couldn't give them too much to start.

Here is a brief synopsis of each of the plays

K/1st Grade
The play opens with 3 scientist traveling into a volcano to study it. On the way they meet a jaguar who lives there that takes them deep into the lava. In the lava they find 5 princesses who are trapped. They call some power rangers and a nurse to help, but neither can get them out. The princesses use their magical powers to free themselves just as a pack of tigers is coming to attack them. Luckily the Power Rangers are able to save them from the tigers and they manage to escape just before the volcano explodes.

2nd/3rd Grade
The play opens with 3 models having a fashion shoot in NY city. The local superheroes have become jealous of all the media attention celebrities are getting instead of life saving superheroes. They decide to hire a wizard to make the Statue of Liberty come to life to attack the city. They will then save the city from this horrible attack and everyone will recognize them again. Their plan foils when they are unable to stop the Statue of Liberty who is lighting the city on fire. The wizard, for a heavy price, stops the Statue of Liberty before she destroys everything. The conflict between the models and superheroes is resolved in the end.

4th and 5th.
The play opens with a king and queen going on vacation and leaving their precious daughter in the hands of the guards and dragons of the castle. With her parents gone, the princess decides to throw a party against the advice of her pet hamster. However, nearby zombies and vampires see this as an opportunity to capture the princess. They distract the guards and dragons and make their way into the party. The vampire tries to get the princess to marry him, and when she refuses, he sends zombies to capture her. The hamster tries to come to the rescue but is unable to save the princess. Just then, the King and Queen return having forgotten something and find their daughter captured. The queen demands they release her and the king is very upset with the guards for not keeping a closer eye on things. The play ends with everyone being able to enjoy the party.

As we have started to rehearse the play, I have been very excited as I feel like I am a real theatre teacher. Since the beginning of the year I have been working with them on some acting fundamentals. I taught them how to stand on stage, volume, diction, areas of  stage. etc.  Now, when I tell them to stand downstage left, they know where to go. I can uses theatre terms that they recognize. So far they are enjoying the rehearsal process. They look forward to it and ask me if we are rehearsing everyday. It has been a very rewarding experience for me thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment