Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Leaf People Art

I am always looking for artistic and creative projects to do with my students. Not only do I want to build up experience teaching arts lessons, but I want to expose my students to as much art as I can. God knows that need a healthy outlet to express themselves other than name calling.

I found this idea online for “Stick People.” I should really think of a better name. I had the time that day, so I was able to walk around my neighborhood and collect sticks and interesting types of leaves. It was nice to be in the neighborhood and notice the trees and the leaves that I normally would not have noticed. I did get some strange looks from neighbors as I would stop to pick up a leaf here and a twig there. It probably looked like I was picking up trash, but no, just leaves.

I created an example for my students. Although I don’t like putting ideas into their head about what their art should look like, I did want them to have some framework and structure, and not just start gluing down leaves randomly. The younger ones will do this. I was very impressed with their level of creativity. One student tore a long leaf to make boots for her person. Another student made a scooter to go alongside his person. After they made the stick people I decided to use the art a step further and incorporate character development into this project. I applied some lessons I learned from Inner City Arts. I asked the students to think about who this stick person was that they had created. What was their name? How old were they? Where did they live? What did they like to do? I just asked them to think about it, but they in fact wanted to write it all out. I was also very surprised at how in depth they were able to create characters in a very short amount of time. I had the students share their art with each other and tell about the character that they created. If I had more time, I would have had them start acting out these characters. I really enjoyed watching them create this art and see how they each created something very unique to who they were. Usually my students will never choose to do art when offered to play outside instead, but they do enjoy it once they get going. I was one of my more fulfilling moments at this job. Now I need to think about how I can continue to build off those great imaginations.




No comments:

Post a Comment