Tuesday, May 10, 2011

If you give a Mouse a Cookie

I am very behind on blogging. Let’s just say that even though I have been working part time, I have been more busy than when I was working full time and interning with IV in the past few weeks. More blog posts to come on car stuff, future stuff, and more of my students stuff.

I am trying to document more what I do with my students to build up a portfolio and remember what worked and what didn’t. Since I am always looking to integrate academic material with creative learning, I was trying to spice up how to enhance reading comprehension skills for my kindergarteners.

My kinders actually respond pretty well to me just reading them stories. And I love reading kids books, it’s one of my favorite things in life so I am always happy to read to them. I usually ask them questions after reading the book to build their reading comprehension skills. But I tried to make this more of a creative process. I read them the classic, “If you give a Mouse a Cookie.” First, as a class we went over each part of the story and I wrote the sequence of events on the board. Then I assigned each them a different part of the story that we had talked about. I had them draw a picture of just that part of the story. I took all their pictures and taped them on the board in order and had them retell me the story with their pictures. It worked well because most of them had heard the story before and different parts of the story were not that complicated to draw.





No comments:

Post a Comment