Sunday, February 26, 2012

Theatre Around the World: Chinese Opera



This was a fun week because I got to show them a little video which they were excited about. Chinese Opera is actually really interesting history. I wish that I had more time to do more research on it. I did find that Chinese Opera plays would be held inside of amusement parks. One amusement park had over 60 stages! So cool. Can you imagine how awesome it would be to just spend a whole day and see play after play? Theatre marathon!

This clip that I showed them is called "Fighting in the Dark." I saw it in one of my college classes and thought is was so cool. I knew my students would love it. In the video there is a master of the house (wearing white) and a thief (wearing black). They are supposed to be in the dark so they can't see each other. I was worried my students would try to mimic the martial arts move, as they already have issues with too much violent behavior. I made them promise me they wouldn't try anything. Its really more like dance fighting anyway, which I think is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment