Sunday, February 5, 2012

Theatre Around the World: Commedia dell'Arte



In our next adventure in the world of theatre, I took them to Italy to study the Renaissance and Commedia dell'Arte. The few facts that I was trying to get them to leave with was that they performed their plays outsides, there were no scripts from because most of it was improvised, and that they wore masks. I talked a little bit about stock characters but I think that went over their heads. We went over masking and I showed them some pictures of Commedia dell'Arte masks.

Since everything was very large and outlandish, we played an improv game called, "Make it bigger." I have them improvise a very short simple scene. Then I have them do the scene over again with huge hand gestures, big expressions, and everything exaggerated. Once I gave them some examples, I was actually very impressed their ability to make the simple scene grand and outlandish. It was fun to see them really get a chance to act in this game. They loved it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment