Sunday, March 18, 2012

3D Line Art

After doing a few line drawing lessons that I learned from Inner City Arts, I decided to have them create structures of lines in 3D. I gave them strips of paper and told them to fold and twist the paper to make different lines that would not stick flat on the page, but pop out. I challenged them in their structures to use straight lines, curvy lines, zig zag lines, etc. As they were creating these different structures I asked them to think about what their structure could be? I made the mistake of giving the suggestion that one looked like a roller coaster, so after that of course everyone's was a roller coaster. Even with in that I tried to have them think about it more deeply. Is it just one roller coaster or several? Are there other rides happening as well? Where is the beginning/end of the roller coaster?

I was getting really excited for them as they were creating these. They were all so different and they all found ways to manipulate the strips of paper that I would not have even though of. It was really refreshing to see one of my students who has a lot of behavioral problems really get into this project and be excited about it. Yes, finally something positive that engages him!! I will have to find other ways to allow him to create and build things.









No comments:

Post a Comment