Sunday, May 20, 2012

Grandpop's Farm

 This is my grandfather's farm. It is where I spent my summers as a child. It holds some of my fondest memories:
 playing softball with my cousins
super soaker wars
 making up plays
 picking fresh raspberries
 riding the golf cart

 He passed away almost 9 years ago, and reasonably my grandmother could not keep up the property on her own and it was sold a few years ago.

I found out strangely through google images that the new owners have put in a pool where my grandfathers vegetable garden used to sit. This was heartbreaking for me to see. My grandfather's garden was his pride and joy, especially in the summer when I was there. If you couldn't find grandpop you should first look in the garden where he would be gathering crops, pulling wedding, trimming bushes, or fixing something. The musty old garden shed smelled so much like him. Of all places to put the pool, did it have to be over the garden? It feels like they paved over a piece of his memory.

My visits back east have been sporadic since his death partly because I just grew up and worked in the summer and partly because things just can't stay the same. I am planning a trip back this summer, which I think will be hard. Memories of my childhood that I can not visit, family that has been broken, and loved one that are absent. But its good to look back and be grateful for the memories that I do have. A lot of my younger cousin didn't have the time with him that I did.

This was the gate to the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment