Friday, October 8, 2010

Apartment



Here is a picture of the outside of my place. The way that a lot of places work in LA is that old houses are remodeled and split up into different apartment units. My place is split up into 4 units, hence the ½ in my address. Because of this converting, a lot of the layouts are pretty non conventional. In my apt when you go down the hallway you first hit my bedroom, then our kitchen, then another bedroom. This was actually one of the better layouts we looked at. One had no living room at all, and another you had to walk through the bedroom to get to the other bedroom.

I am living with two other women, both that I knew through InterVarsity. They are exceptional roommates (And I am not saying that just because they read this blog). More about them later. Our apt is a 3 bedroom and 1 bathroom. Because of the interesting set up as I mentioned above, one of the rooms is attached to the living room and does not have a closet. Because we didn’t want to make anyone stuck in that small room and walk across the apt to get to a closet, we decided that two of us would double up and we would turn the awkward room into a prayer/art/guest room. So far it has worked out really well. I really enjoy having that extra space to get away from my computer and just settle in with God. Our apartment is very old fashion looking with wood paneling. (See pictures below). We also have these great built in shelving units in the living room and one of the bedrooms. We have a little porch that we share with our neighbor.

My roommates and I all moved to the city with similar reasons, to be part of the neighborhood and care for the poor. So we are trying to make the place that we live welcoming to visitors and have community with each other. We have decided to do our groceries communally and cook for each other a few nights a week. Those of you who know me well know that Megan does not cook. My motto in cooking is: If it takes longer to cook it than it does to eat it; it’s not worth making. So my food tends to be pretty simple and from a box. So far my roommates have stomached the food I have made. Hopefully I will be able to learn how to cook more from them. I think they are going to force me to eat healthier which will make some members of my family very happy. They have tried converting me to whole grain bread, but I am holding out on my white bread for now. Funny thing though, when I was shopping, I accidentally bought wheat bread for myself instead of white, I think the Lord is slowing forcing me to the wheat world, no,…its gross! I’m just being real. But it’s really nice to have meals together and talk about our days. It’s weird to have time to make and eat dinner. Being in InterVarsity so long where everything happens in the evening, I am used to microwaving something and eating it on the way to an IV event.

The neighborhood is really nice. We have met a few of our neighbors but looking for more opportunities to have longer conversations with them. They all seem really friendly though. I have never felt unsafe. My roommates and I are being cautious though, we call each other when we come back late and watch each other walk in. So far everything is working out great. Here are a few pictures of the place.

Here is a picture of my room, notice the orange walls, (Came that way, I didn't paint them that color)
Here is one of the built in units I was talking about. This is the one in my room.

This is our living room. Fake fireplace and everything.


This is our prayer/art/guest room for all who come to visit.

And this is our teeny tiny kitchen.



No comments:

Post a Comment