Wednesday, October 13, 2010

LA Critters


Crawling critters

Ants-I knew that ants would maybe be a problem. But since my roommates are pretty clean I thought maybe we would be ok. (I’m clean to when other people are clean. My cleanliness tends to match the people around me). But no, first week we got here a lovely line of ants appeared in the bathroom. I Raid attacked them, which seemed to work. But then I left a banana peel in the trash can in my room which was a mistake. So now as I am sitting at my desk, I see one crawl over my keyboard and smash it. While I am sitting on my couch watching TV one will crawl on my arm and I flick it away. So basically we just sit and pick ants off ourselves several times a day. It’s not like a line of them and we don’t know where they are coming from; it’s just one here and one there. It’s getting better though. Word on the street is that they go away with the heat.

Cockroaches- Yes, we have had some cockroach spottings. My roommates first spotted some babies in the kitchen when we turned on the lights at night and then they all tried to scurry away. It became very precarious to come into the kitchen at night because you never knew what kind of crutch you might find under your feet. Bare feet became a dangerous option for me. We found a couple in the bathroom as well which made me fear putting my clothes on the floor while showing. But we got some roach motels which they seem to be happily settling into. No longer nomads wandering the kitchen and bathroom, but settled down into a nice motel for a lifetime stay, hopefully.

Feathered critters

Rooster- Well who says you can’t have the best of the country in the city? Our neighbors have a lovely rooster that is our morning wake up call. Only this alarm clock is in need of some new batteries. Sometimes he crows at 5, sometimes 8, sometimes 10, and sometimes not at all. Maybe the lights in the city confuse him for the sun. Well I guess I better stick to the electronic alarm clock for now.

Bird/ Pigeons- Oh the birds are very lovely here. I hear them on my roof and telephone poles making very interesting noise. They are also very very generous bird. But truly they follow the teaching of Matthew 6 and do their generous deeds in secret. They particularly like to leave their gifts on my car. We have learned that parking your under certain trees are more prone to surprises than other places. The above picture is my car with the plethora of presents left by the birds. And I am too lazy to clean it so it just stays like this.

1 comment:

  1. haha this was a lot of fun to read... oh those generous birds!

    ReplyDelete